10 April 2010

Technological invasion, or, "How I learned to stop worrying and love the Telly".

Here is a quick story about a self-posed question that I, much to my disturbance, could not find an answer to:

I am currently staying at my parent's house up North this weekend for a small vacation. We actually have been active on this trip that we usually are (it's amazing how many free things you find to do when you are in a personal and global recession!), so I am not complaining. However, inevitably, the T.V. always gets turned on every night, usually in three different rooms by their three typical occupants. This, of course, leaves me, a non-permanent resident of this home with no T.V. of my own, alone to sit at the table and thumb through a Sunset magazine (or go up in my room and write a blog entry). This, as you can imagine, frustrates me for two reasons: 1.) I just traveled 400 miles and spent quite a bit of money to spend time with my family, and 2.) I don't watch T.V. I will watch an occasional show on-line now and then, or watch a season of a T.V. show in succession once in awhile, but rarely ever do I just sit down and watch what's on. Mainly because I am too busy to devote a half hour to doing respectively nothing, and when I do have free time, I'd rather spend it with people. So my initial response to my family's recreational T.V. habits is that we should be doing something else. Anything else, because sitting in a room simultaneously being occupied by the same thing is not spending time together. (Can I get an Amen?)

But here's when my scenario takes a what I think is disturbing turn: immediately after haughtily thinking "we should not be watching T.V. right now", my next thought was...nothing . Sheer blankness and absence of thought. I could not conceive an alternative activity, at least one that did not involve media or technology. I was not capable of brainstorming a quiet family activity that did not include being entertained by some external electronic inanimate object. What did people do together before there were 7 T.V.s in one household? Seriously! Embroider? Talk about the farm? I am not being facetious here; I am posing a serious question. How can modern families, with all of the technology available at their fingertips, after spending 8 hours apart from each other all day working in isolated, unrelated jobs, spend time together without tuning out and being held captive by the T.V., or some other technological activity (including computers, an act of which I am entirely guilty as charged)?

Suggestions? Ideas? Theoretical Propositions? What do you think? Your ideas may save us all!

5 comments:

Clay said...

This happens when I visit my parents too. I'm not sure what the answer is....my mom likes" The Price is Right" and my dad loves "Judge Judy". I sacrifice and watch with them, just to be with THEM.
Pam in Henan
http://www.swallowsnestzz.org

meghanjanssen said...

My family isn't usually that into watching TV; rather, we shun "quality time" by crawling into a corner of the house with a laptop and spending hours in front of the cool glow of the liquid crystal display. It's a tough habit to get out of--the Internet is so eternally mesmerizing--but we sometimes play boardgames. That can be fun, except that my dad is ultra competitive and usually ends up getting mad at everyone. I'm inclined to think that there isn't a catch-all solution. Just keep trying!

Cindy said...

It's always a magical moment when judgment of others turns to self reflection. We watch TV too, but it doesn't define our lives, it's usually reserved for the last hour of two of the day for winding down after we've finished our other stuff and then my husband and I pick a show to follow and watch together. A few things we like to do when we're not watching t.v... Walk our dogs, explore new parks, play games,and cook, cook, cook!

m. kayla said...

1.) Haha, thanks for responding everyone! It's good to know that this is a hard thing for others, too. I think I've just had so many living situations where the T.V. is the central focus of the community life, I get really sick of the damn thing, you know?

2.) I forgot to mention that one of our go-to activities now has been free wine tasting! My parents live in the gorgeous foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains, within about a 10-mile radius of several wineries. So, no complaints there, obviously...

3.) Meghan! HI!!

4.) My name is Melanie, and I am an internet addict. Speaking of judgement turning to self-reflection! I am no better than anyone when it comes to internet usage; in fact, I even gave up Facebook for Lent this year, since it took up so much of my time (and the first few days were HARD!). So, I am a prime example of calling the kettle black, or whatever the phrase is.

Lady Buttercup said...

being around family can be a very hard thing. trust me i just spent 8 hours in a car with hubby and kids to go see my mom for 7 day and wound up leaving on day 3.
however to maybe answer you question about alteraive things to do, my family enjoys these activities: playing board games, playing the wii, bowling, we also like to play the "what is this song and who sings it", we love to just talk to each other about diffeernt things in our life or maybe in our "what if" life.
hope this helps you in your quest for what is right for you and your family, good luck.